The Catshack Reports welcomes this years big winner and historically the very first winner of the Bob Gurnsey scholarship awards. We have had the pleasure of interacting with Jim Lively behind the scenes and reading all of the various essay submissions supplied by all of the applicants. This year’s winner of the $2,500 Tippmann Sports National Scholarship Award goes to Michael Zuppa, from Ooltewah, Tennessee.Â
Michael is graduating from The McCallie School in Chattanooga, TN this spring. Cim Laude, as an AP Scholar with Honors complete with a perfect score on his SAT’s. He has been accepted to Georgia Tech, Duke University, University of Tennessee, University of South Carolina, Clemson and Stanford, all in the school of Engineering.
Mike has been playing paintball since he was 11 years old, he works as a field/tournament referee and also conducts free player workshops for young players at his home field, Insane Paintball in Chattanooga, TN. He is a member of the professional paintball team “Chattanooga Cross Eye”.
Besides paintball he is a member of the varsity swim team, and has achieved MVP on the National SAA Swim Team. His community service activities included YMCA youth leadership, Habitat for Humanity, Summer Mentor/Teacher for rising swimmers and helps with the Tornado Disaster Relief and volunteers at different community clean-up projects.
The Catshack Reports contacted Michael Zuppa directly “I am incredibly honored to be the first ever recipient of this award in honor of the creator of paintball, Mr. Bob Gurnsey. Having paintball scholarships available is a huge step for the sportâ€™s growth, and Iâ€™m excited about the direction in which paintball is heading. The money I have received from the scholarship will be applied towards my tuition at Georgia Tech next year to study the field of engineering” says a very pleased Michael regarding his paintball scholarship.
Michael’s winning submission to the scholarship committee was as follows:
The $500 NPPL Regional Award Winners are:
- Ryan Hopkins, from Ridgeway,VA who plans to attend Virginia Tech in Engineering. Home field is Adventure Beach PB in Myrtle Beach, SC.
- Zachary Blunier, from Decatur, AL who plans to attend the University of Alabama in Mechanical Engineering/Robotics. Home field Liberty PB in Decatur AL
- Dayton Bridwell, Montague, CA who plans to attend The Art Institute of California in Culinary Arts. Home field Mountain Valley PB in Grenada, CA.
- Brandon Smith, Nazareth, PA. who plans to attend Virginia Tech, in Political Science. Home field Skirmish PB in Jim Thorpe, PA.
- Federico Salinas, Eagle Pass,TX who plans to attend University of TX, in Mechanical Engineering. Home field Eagle Pass PB Club in Eagle Pass, TX.
- Ashley Bogart, Erwin,TN who plans to attend East Tn University, in Sports Medicine. Home field The Alternative Sports PB in Blountville TN.
A very special thank you to Jim Lively and the scholarship committee, not an easy decision to make with so many fine candidates, great job!
For more on the Bob Gurnsey Scholarship awards please visit paintballscholarships.com